Winter is the perfect time for comfort food and it is definitely cold outside. My son asks for that “Russian meal” He can never remember the name but only its origin 🙂 Beef Stroganoff is a perfect hearty meal that really satisfies my guys. Beef is a very nutrient rich food…it is a good source of Protein,Vitamin B12, Vitamin B6, Phosphorus and Zinc, and a very good source of Niacin and Selenium. When choosing beef look for lean cuts of beef such as sirloin, round or loin. Trim fat from the meat prior to cooking and drain off the fat when browning to help reduce the fat content.
- 1 2 1/2-pound piece beef sirloin, well trimmed, meat cut into 2 by 1/2 inch strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1 pound small cremini mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 cup canned low-sodium beef broth
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- Pat meat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large skillet over high heat until very hot. Working in batches, add meat in single layer and cook just until brown on outside, about 1 minute per side. Transfer to rimmed baking sheet.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped shallots and sauté until tender, scraping up browned bits, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms. Sprinkle with pepper and sauté until liquid evaporates, about 12 minutes. Add beef broth. Simmer until liquid thickens and just coats mushrooms, about 14 minutes. Stir in whipping cream and Dijon mustard. Add meat and any accumulated juices from baking sheet. Simmer over medium-low heat until meat is heated through but still medium, about 2 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 8 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl. Add remaining 4 tablespoons butter and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Divide noodles among plates. Top with beef and sauce. Sprinkle generously with paprika.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my guys do 🙂
~Comments, sharing, following and reblogging are appreciated 😀