Before you hit the gym you need to be sure your body is properly fueled to perform the level of exercise desired.
The bodies Glycogen stores are critical to sustain activity, so you want to be sure you are eating the right foods. Good foods are going to be nutrient dense and not high in calories.
- Carbohydrates will maximize glycogen stores
- Protein helps build and repair muscle tissue
Nutrition before Workout
- Eat a carbohydrate rich snack or meal
- Include a small amount of protein
- Choose foods that are low in fat and fiber
Pre- workout (2-4 hours)
- Banana and greek yogurt
- Whole grain toast with peanut butter
- Oatmeal with a tablespoon of sliced almonds and banana
- Hard-boiled egg and whole grain toast
- Turkey Sandwich on whole-grain bread
- Smoothie made with 1/2 cup fruit, 1/2 cup yogurt
- Medium size apple with a tablespoon of almond butter
30 minutes-1 hr before workout
- Small piece of fruit
- Sports drink
Make sure pre-workout foods are high quality and not too many calories. Plan your workout time so you can make sure your snacks are timed appropriately.
Remember no one food or method is right for every person. You have to experiment with different foods and times to determine which work best for you.
What are your favorite pre-workout foods?
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. NFS:Eating Before Exercise