It’s “Fat Tuesday” aka Mari Gras, so to celebrate I baked some Beignets. I’m not a big fan of frying, so my version is baked 😀
Adapted from Southern Living
Yield: 24 beignets
1 (1/4-ounce) envelope active dry yeast
3 tablespoons warm water (100° to 110°)
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large bowl combine yeast and 3 tablespoons warm water; let mixture stand 5 minutes.
- Heat milk in a small saucepan over medium heat (do not boil). Stir in sugar, butter, and salt. Stir until butter is melted. Remove from heat and cool.
- To yeast add milk, egg and 2 cups of flour. Stir with wooden spoon. Dough will be very sticky. Gradually stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning to dough to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Punch dough down- 1-2 times should be enough, and turn it out onto a floured surface.
- Roll dough into a large rectangle about 1/4 in thickness; cut strips to form 2-inch squares. Place on a floured surface; cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Coat baking tray with cooking spray. Place dough 2 inches apart on to tray.
- Bake 7-10 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar while still warm.
Baked turned out perfect. These square pillows are full of deliciousness 😀