I can’t start off this month without giving a nod to National Nutrition Month®.
Every year the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics presents an education campaign to draw attention to making good food choices. This year their education campaign is called “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day.” This campaign highlights the fact that we are all individuals with individual lifestyles, eating styles, food preferences and health concerns, so we should make food choices based on what works for us as individuals.
Tips for Nutritious Everyday Meals:
- Whole foods and can help meet your nutritional needs, while providing a diet full of variety.
- Use seasoning and spices to enhance meals flavor.
- Practice moderation to help meet your nutrition goals.
We are on the go quite often so, I’m always looking for something quick and nutritious to prepare. When I think quick, I think pasta but I don’t like to prepare it too often. However, Quinoa is versatile and just as quick to cook as pasta, plus it’s more nutritious…toss in a veggie and you have a great meal. 😀
Parmesan Quinoa and Kale
1 Tbsp Olive oil
1 /2 cup onion, diced
1 garlic clove, pressed
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
4 cups Kale, chopped
2 Tbsp water
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded
In a 2 qt sauce pan add broth and quinoa, bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 30 minutes.
When quinoa is about 10 minutes from being done, begin to heat olive oil in a large skillet heat over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
Add chopped Kale to pan and 2 tablespoons of water, cover with lid. Let steam for 2-3 minutes. Uncover and stir to combine onions with kale.
Add 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese to quinoa, stir until cheese is melted. Add quinoa to kale and toss to combine.
Plate and garnish with shredded parmesan cheese.
Yield : 4 servings
This dish is cheesy, nutty and full of flavor. My kids loved the cheese on the quinoa. Is it me or does cheese makes everything great ? 😀
- Kale and Black Bean Quesadillas (cleanandgreennutrition.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa and Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (laurathroughthelens.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa Vegetable Soup (cleanandgreennutrition.wordpress.com)
- Southwestern Quinoa Stuffed Peppers (cleanandgreennutrition.wordpress.com)
- Quinoa Kale and Spinach Cups (stayinghealthywhenhungerstrikes.wordpress.com)